Saturday, August 4, 2012

Canning Salmon




I have officially turned into an "Alaskan Mountain Women"  this week!  I have been learning to can.  And although I have been a gardener in the past I have never learned the art of canning.  so...Linda has been teaching me and since it is fishing season.....we are canning Salmon.  Pink and Red Salmon more specifically.  



The process takes about 3 hours from start to finish.  Starting with sanitizing the jars,  then cutting up the fish,  cleaning them and fitting them into the jars.  From there we add vinegar and salt and then wipe and seal them.  Then they are ready to go into the pressure cooker and must maintain 10 lbs of pressure for 1 1/2 hours. 


After they are done and cooled down,  all the jars must be cleaned again before being stored! We canned for a few days and in total I believe we ended up canning about 50+ fish.  (Linda did most of the work!) But I was grateful to be a part of it and to just learn! 


Thanks Linda:)

1 comment:

John said...

How awesome....can't wait to try some. We are so proud of you!!!